NCC 2022 – Condensation Management for Steel Roofing
Guidance on good practice and NCC 2022 compliance for condensation management for steel roofing in residential applications.
To help support the construction industry, The Australian Steel Institute (ASI) and the National Association of Steel-framed Housing (NASH) have jointly developed a series of resources exploring ways to meet the revised National Construction Code (NCC 2022) and providing general best practice information.
The Condensation Management for Steel Roofing topic includes a PDF download and video presentation. It outlines the fundamental principles for moisture management of steel roof systems and lists a range of suitable approaches. It provides practical guidance and example case studies. The topic covers:
- Why there is an increasing focus on moisture management in residential buildings
- What is condensation and when is it a problem
- Three key design principles for moisture management of steel roof systems
- Key principles for effective ventilation of different roof types
- How roof design, pitch and material influence condensation risk
- Examples of steel-clad roof systems and considerations to mitigate condensation risk
- Case studies are provided to better explain how steel roofs can manage moisture.
The topic summarises approaches available to manage condensation risk and provides clarity on the best approach depending on the roof system. It outlines why common Australian roof designs such as pitched roofs with horizontal ceilings, can be robust in managing condensation.
The topic will be of particular interest to architects and designers to assist in appropriately detailing steel roof systems to help prevent condensation issues and satisfy NCC 2022 condensation management requirements. For further practical guidance for meeting requirements in cooler climates refer to “Ventilation in Steel Roofing” (climate zones 6,7 & 8) in this series.
- Download ASI/ NASH PDF Guide - Condensation Management for Steel Roofing
- Watch ASI/ NASH Video - Condensation Management for Steel Roofing
- Visit the ASI website for additional topics in the NCC series – Designing to NCC 2022 Using Steel
- If you would like to discuss moisture management for steel roofing, please contact your BlueScope Account Manager or the Australian Steel Institute (ASI).